Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Research Project


While reading down the list of books from which to choose from for our research, I was immediately drawn to two specific books, You Just Don’t Understand: Men and Women in Conversation and The Scientist in the Crib: What Early Learning Tells Us About the Mind . After a few minutes of internet research and a brief reading of the first chapters I decided that the second option was going to be my book of choice. There were certain key factors which assisted me in my decision. First of all, after reading a page or two I saw that it was a bit witty, which was a major attraction because who doesn’t like some humor in their life?. Secondly, this book is very captivating and full of interesting facts about children that will not seize to shock you, and this is what this book mostly consists of. It explores the world of young children and infants and tries to explain to us as adults and parents that they are not what they seem. That children are curious minds and think about issues just as we do, perhaps not the same issues but the point it that they think. I personally do not have children of my own, but I do hope to someday have a family and this book seems to be a great tool to help me through the undiscovered journey of parenthood. Lastly, I am going to be sincere and say that I am also taking a developmental psychology course and this book is closely related to the material, that I felt inclined toward this book in an endeavor to kill two birds with one stone.
        

2 comments:

  1. Well I like the idea of a witty book! I'm glad you are captivated with it. And it's excellent that reading it will enrich your experience in Developmental Psychology! After all, I bet Dev. Psych will teach you about first language acquisition too. I'll look forward to hearing more about your reading experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading this book also! I'm so far enjoying the humor and how the author describes the human mind. I know this book will definitely offer much insight. And even though I don't have any children, I hope that this book will help broaden my views on child development.

    ReplyDelete