Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Research Book 1/5

So after reading about 1/5 of  The Scientist in The Crib: What Early Learning Tells Us About The Mind, it is difficult to view babies and young children the same anymore. The very beginning of this book was more of an overview of what we originally thought we knew about babies  and of what we have come to discover years later through various forms of research and close observation. This book pointed out to me that unfortunately, the study of  children’s development, Developmental Psychology is a fairly recent field of study and the ground work was put together mostly by two people in particular, Jean Piaget and Lev Vygotsky. Thanks to their earlier work, and recent research we have now adopted a new theory that an infants’ brain is like a computer, and not a blank slate as it was thought of before. Technology has also significantly affected Developmental Psychology because, now we have what Piaget and Vygotsky did not, camcorders and now psychologists have learned new amazing facts about babies, like the fact that six-month-olds can tell the difference between Swedish and English! Fascinating stuff. I also learned that babies start to understand that they are similar to others, and that we can feel upset or happy about certain things. Babies are so much smarter than I actually thought, this book finally explained to me why the “terrible two’s” are in deed so terrible, and it’s for the simple fact that children do (bad) things just because we don’t want them to. I think this shows a deep understanding of other people, and how they feel, because this demonstrates that children are acting with a purpose. So far into the book there hasn’t been much talk concerning language, but I skimmed through the table of contents and it’s coming up soon, in chapter 4 approximately 3/5 into the book, but meanwhile I will be reading all the other cool elements about “What children learn about things” next.

4 comments:

  1. Hello, Nice to meet you! :)
    We chose the same book!
    I think you read much more than me.
    I'm hard to read a book and slow to read because my English in so poor. So, I hope you can help me to understand the book. haha~
    It's interesting that babies feel happy or upset when they find the diffence between him/her and others.
    I thy to read that part this week~
    See you tomorrow~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Michalle, I agree with you When you say " Babies are so much smarter than I actually thought" . My grandson, a 17 months old boy surprises me every day. Since he was 7 months he recognizes the difference between English and Spanish. His mother( my daughter) always talk to him in English, but I always talk to him in Spanish. When I try to use my poor English with him, He smiles. He also is able to recognize numbers. Even though he does not speak yet, he mimics to let us know what he wants to say. I think that the book you are reading is very interesting. I also think that everybody should learn more about babies in order to understand them better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,
    I just came across your blog and am really interested in the book that you are reading. From reading your blog, I learned that "babies start to understand that they are similar to others", which never occurred to me because like many others I thought that babies weren't capable of feeling until much older when they start to realize that feelings like embarrasement. I look forward to the presentation of your book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You go, Michelle! You're getting a following with your blog posts about "The Scientist in the Crib!"

    ReplyDelete