Monday, October 18, 2010

EUPHORIA


“That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!” Bill Watterson.



Euphoria which is a noun but can also be an adjective (euphoric) and it means a feeling of great happiness, well-being or elation. The etymology of this word  dates to 1727, when this word was a physician’s term for “condition of feeling healthy and comfortable”. Euphoria among many of our English language words originates from Greek and is obtained from the word “Euphoros”. Some time later this word was taken to Latin where it became “eupherein”  the “eu” means good and “pherein” means to bear. Since this word has it’s roots in Greek it is therefore, borrowed. I chose this word because earlier this week I was watching television with my friend and there was a commercial for a perfume called “Euphoria” and we both happened to be unsure of what it meant, so we goggled it together and now we have both added a word to our ever expanding vocabulary. 

2 comments:

  1. I love this word, you just helped expand my vocabulary, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. EUPHRIA, THE NEW FRAGANCE FROM MICHELLE OR IS IT FROM CK.
    COOL WORD ! BUT I TOUGHT THAT IT MEANT ANGRY..LOL. I USED MANY TIMES IN THAT CONTEXT

    ReplyDelete